St.Xavier's Chathedral (Kottar) , it dates back to 16th century dedicated to St.Francis Xavier.
St. Francis Xavier, Professor from Paris, came to the southern tip of the peninsula in 1543 to work among the Paravars. In 1544 he baptised more than 10,000 Paravars along the coast of Travancore from Thutur to Pallam. It is said that the Maharaja of Travancore gladly gave his consent to the conversion out of gratitude for the saint who, armed only with a crucifix, forced the invading Badagas to retreat at Vadasery. Thus Christianity flourished with the help of the then Maharajah of Travancore, Unni Kerala Varma.
In the year 1544, a small church was built by St. Francis Xavier with the help of the then Travancore king (This chappel for Mother Mary is still prevented as a part of St.Xavier's Cathedral, Kottar. Where continous 12hours adoration is carried out daily in week days). During the year1603, the church was modified and rebuilt by Swamy Andreas Puchario from Italy with mud and wood.
As the prayers of poor, needy and sick persons are accepted and there inconsistency is downtrodden, they called St.Xavier as "Ketta varam tharum Kottar Savariyar". In the year 1713, the church was expanded and it was built with stones. In the year 1806, an engineer from Kolkata built a wooden altar with artisitic works on it. And in 1865, the church was expanded.
May 26, 1930 The Diocese of Kottar was established from the Diocese of Quilon and St.Xaviers Cathedral was announced as the Parish Church. A 10 day festival from November 24th to December 3rd is held every year.The car pocession in 1st, 2nd and 3rd December is the sight of beauty and devotion. While December 3rd being a Sunday it will be extended upto 4th December. In such cases the car pocessions will be on 2nd, 3rd and 4th December. In which thousands of people will be gathered to worship St. Francis Xavier to fulfil there needs.
Recently in this year the main altar and the altar in the Holy chappel where our saint prayed were maintained by removing the old gold and decorated with more than 200gms of 24ct Gold. Which is then blessed by Most Rev. Bishop Peter Remegius, The Bishop of Kottar on 28th October, 2010.
Feast Celebrations (24th Nov to 03rd Dec, 2010)
For Detailed Schedule Click Here...